You are between the ages of 16 and 27? Creating…
The iJuLa project opens up spaces in Cologne, in which young artists can work on intersectional themes: sexual and gender diversity/queerness, racism, the interaction of different forms of discrimination – and we invite young artists to design these spaces with us and fill them with life and ideas.
Photo © Yves Sanwidi
You are 16 to 27 years old, artistically active and interested in the topics mentioned above? You want to get involved in the project and implement ideas for/in the spaces to be created, together with other young artists and local youth? Come over to our iJuLa space in Herthastraße 50 in Cologne Zollstock!
On July 2nd, 2021, the iJuLa youth lab in Cologne-Zollstock could finally officially open with an open day: The sun was shining, people came by throughout the day, there was screen printing, live music and live dance on the open stage, collective painting… and from now on there will be regular activities in the space, at least until the end of 2022!
What has happened so far in the iJuLa project:
- About 30 young artists (16 to 27 years old) could be recruited for the iJuLa youth curatorship starting in 2020: They plan offers and events in the space, which are implemented with the support of the project team. Interested people can join the group of curators at any time!
- In July 2020, there was a first weekend workshop with the iJuLa curators; then in October, the 10-day iJuLa Kick-off Academy took place in Heek-Nienborg. Here we deliberated: What kind of space do we want to rent, and what should happen there?
- On December 1st, the first iJuLa space was rented: An old commercial hall in the back of Herthastraße 50 in Cologne-Zollstock. RRCGN team and iJuLa curators put a lot of work into renovating and equipping the space – because of Corona, it went much slower than planned.
- In early 2021, the three-part film series “Let’s talk about Queerness” was released, which is part of the Andy Warhol exhibition and was created in cooperation with the Museum Ludwig; the films can be seen further down this page.
- In July 2021, a ROOTS & ROUTES Peer Coach Academy took place as part of the iJuLa project. 10 young curators and 10 other young artists were supported to train as junior instructors.
There is no Event
iJuLa – intersectional YouthLabs in Cologne
iJuLa is a RRCGN project and is funded by the program “Demokratie leben!” by the German Federal Ministry for Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth; additional funding comes from DOHLE Foundation, from Fonds Soziokultur within the BKM programme “NEUSTART KULTUR”, and from Deutsche Postcode Lotterie.